Daily News Updates
Unification into ZANU–PF
In 1980 it contested elections in Zimbabwe as the Patriotic Front, but lost to its rival the ZANU. They merged into ZANU–PF in 1987 following the Gukurahundi massacres.
The Unity Accord signed at that meeting stated:
- That ZANU - PF and PF ZAPU have irrevocably committed themselves to unite under one political party.
- That the unity of the two political parties; shall be achieved under the name Zimbabwe African National Union (Patriotic Front) in short ZANU - PF.
- That Comrade Robert Gabriel Mugabe shall be the First Secretary and President of ZANU PF.
- That ZANU PF shall have two Second Secretaries and Vice-Presidents who shall be appointed by the First Secretary and President of the Party.
- That ZANU PF shall seek to establish a socialist society in Zimbabwe on the guidance of Marxism–Leninism principles.
- That ZANU PF shall seek to establish a One Party State in Zimbabwe.
- That the leadership of ZANU - PF shall abide by the Leadership Code.
- That the existing structures of ZANU - PF and PF ZAPU shall be merged in accordance with the letter and spirit of this Agreement.
- That both parties shall, in the interim, take immediate vigorous steps to eliminate and end the insecurity and violence prevalent in Matabeleland.
- That ZANU - PF and PF ZAPU shall convene their respective Congress to give effect to this Agreement within the shortest possible time.
- That, in the interim, Comrade Robert Gabriel Mugabe is vested with full powers to prepare for the implementation of this Agreement and to act in the name and authority of ZANU - PF.